Guide to PE Courses

CTECH Sport
(OCR Level 3 Cambridge Technical in Sport and Physical Activity)
Equivalent to 1.5 A Levels

Why study CTECH Sport?
 
You will be equipped with the skills, knowledge and understanding for entry to higher education or  a range of career paths.  You will have the opportunity, through applied learning, to develop the core specialist knowledge, skills and understanding required in the sport and physical activity sector.  It is a practical based course, where you have to apply your knowledge to a variety of different scenarios. We follow the fitness instructor pathway, which includes a wide range of units that suit all learners.
 
What can it lead on to?
 
This course opens doors to a number of careers and life options including; physiotherapy, teaching, sports science, sports management, sports coaching, personal trainer or dietician.
 
What are the areas of study?
 
The qualification consists of three exams (44%), which are multiple choice, short answer and ten mark essay style questions.  The exams are split across the two years with an opportunity to retake each one. The remainder of the qualification is coursework (56%) which consists of five units. The units may include sports coaching and leadership, sports injuries, group exercise to music, health and fitness testing and physical activity for specific groups.  However, there is an opportunity to select alternative units, depending on the group.  The coursework is assessed in a variety of ways, for example presentations, practical coaching sessions, fitness testing, essays and reports.